I just finished listening to the Baseball America Podcast from 9 December (it's free) in which they offer their commentary for the Rule 5 Draft. Here is a brief summary of what they had to say about Mason Tobin (starts just after the 24 minute mark):
- If BA were drafting, they would take Tobin.
- Love his arm strength and upside (upside was the first they mentioned).
- Plus velocity (96 to 97), plus slider.
- Wowed the Angels big league coaching staff in '09.
- Matt Eddy from BA was saying all along that the Rangers would draft Tobin (guess they weren't all that interested in Scott Diamond, Anuery Rodriguez, or Elvin Ramirez).
- Only has 40 innings in three years of work.
- Shoulder surgery in '08, TJ in '09, and a clean up procedure this year.
- An impressive pitcher when healthy.
All of their comments were really good. Besides, you already subscribe to their podcast, right?