Baseball America has a two-part podcast running down the signing deadline team by team. In part two they get to the AL, and the Rangers discussion begins at about the 48 minute mark. Here are some highlights:
- Have some interesting high school picks - Brandon Woodruff, Derek Fisher, and Max Pentecost (Luke Bailey of this year's draft).
- Pentecost should have gone in first three or four rounds, but had TJ surgery. There are indications that he will sign.
- Cy Sneed (Pitcher, Idaho), has some Youtube videos which are impressive.
- Joey Pankake, of course, has the best name in the draft. Doesn't sound like he will sign, however.
- For whom will the Rangers going to go over slot? Turns out they may be done due to LA signings. Also been pretty much slot for the draft. Only Conor Sadzek (11th round) got slightly over slot so far.
- Feeling that the Rangers want Woodruff, but there is a belief he will go to Mississippi State.
- Fisher wanted $2 million before draft, probably going to school.
- Pentecost (HS catcher from Georgia) is desireable.
- Rangers will probably make a run at Pentecost and one other guy, but other than that they are done. Late round guys won't get aggressive bids.
- They feel that given the Rangers preference in the draft (athletic up the middle players and high ceiling pitchers), they really wanted Brandon Nimmo or Tyler Beede. Rangers would have spent more on the draft had those guys been available.
You can find Part 1 (procedure for signing picks and NL review) and Part 2 (AL review) here. The aforementioned link also has the iTunes link. Combined, the podcasts are about two and a half hours (or one Up and In podcast).