- 1620 – The Mayflower starts her voyage to North America
- 1810 – With the Grito de Dolores, Father Miguel Hidalgo begins Mexico's fight for independence from Spain.
- 1812 – The Fire of Moscow (1812) begins shortly after midnight and destroys three quarters of the city days later.
- 1893 – Settlers make a land run for prime land in the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma.
- 1943 – World War II: The Allied invasion of Italy concludes when Heinrich von Vietinghoff, commander of the German Tenth Army, orders his troops to withdraw from Salerno.
- 1947 – Typhoon Kathleen hits Saitama, Tokyo and Tone River area, at least 1,930 killed.
- 1961 – The United States National Hurricane Research Project drops eight cylinders of silver iodide into the eyewall of Hurricane Esther. Wind speed reduces by 10%, giving rise to Project Stormfury.
1976 – Shavarsh Karapetyan saves 20 people from the trolleybus that had fallen into Erevan reservoir. (read this story. this guy = awesome)
- 1978 – An earthquake measuring 7.5 to 7.9 on the Richter scale hits the city of Tabas, Iran killing about 25,000 people.
and now, a few always sunny GIFs:
mac dance fighting: