On this day mess:
- 27 BC – Gaius Octavianus (bust pictured) was given the title Augustus by the Roman Senate when he became the first Roman emperor.
- 1780 – American Revolutionary War: The British Royal Navy gained their first major naval victory over their European enemies in the war when they defeated a Spanish squadron in the Battle of Cape St. Vincent.
- 1938 – Benny Goodman performed a concert at New York City's Carnegie Hall which has been considered instrumental in establishing jazz as a legitimate form of music.
- 1969 – Student Jan Palach set himself on fire in Wenceslas Square in Prague as a protest against the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia one year earlier.
- 2008 – Five days after proposing lyrics for the wordless Marcha Real, the Spanish national anthem, the Spanish Olympic Committee withdrew the proposal due to widespread criticism.
So how is everyone? Hope you had a pleasant weekend. Just getting this up so off-topicings can happen. Off topic it up, ladies and gentlemen.