Can we afford this? It's very clearly out of our budget range. But one could hope/dream that the owners might be willing to extend payroll another $10M+ a year than they were planning to.
- Trade Profar + Holland + [Prospects Necessary] for David Price
- Sign Hamilton to 6/140 (Ideally with a vesting option or two)
- Sign Greinke to 6/150
- Sign Naps to 4/32 (Ideally with an option)
- Trade Cruz in a salary dump (And ideally receive back an RP)
- Next off-season, trade Adrian Beltre and plan on starting Olt in 2014
Sorry for the tiny chart (click to enlarge)
[Orange font = extremely rough estimate of arbitration. I also have extremely rough projections of fWAR, which shouldn't be taken too seriously.]
2013: $141M is by my guess, about $10M more than we should expect to be able to afford.
2014: $146M (if we accept Nathan's option) is again about $10M more than we should probably expect.
2015: Now the TV money kicks in, and I think $138M gives us some spending flexibility with which to either extend Elvis or fill in gaps created by injuries.
Bottom-line, I think we would need somewhere around $20-25M more from the owners to afford this. With health, I think we'd easily be the best team in baseball for at least 3 seasons (look at the ages of those pitchers).