- The Rule 5 draft is complete and in the major league portion the Rangers selected Coty Woods, a right handed reliever with a "funky" delivery from the Colorado Rockies and lost first baseman Chris McGuiness to the Cleveland Indians. In the minor league portion, the Rangers lost third baseman Tommy Mendoca. Here's an article by Mark Francescutti of DMN about it.
- Reports about about Michael Young possibly being traded the Phillies are running rampant. The Rangers defy Dan Cahill by not fleeing the winter meetings with the rest of the teams that were bored waiting for the Rangers to acquire everyone.
- Koji Uehara has signed a one year deal with the Red Sox according to Gerry Fraley of the DMN. I'm disappointed he won't be returning as a charter member of the "Koji doesn't really suck, that's a small sample" fan club. We'll miss your swing and miss splitter and excitement.
- The Rangers also signed four players to minor league deals with spring training invites:
- Randy Wells - 30 year old starting pitcher most recently with Cubs. He's in the Dave Bush / Brett Tomko 7th starter / longman mold that ideally never pitches for your team, but you need just in case.
- Brandon Allen - 26 year old three true outcome first baseman that bounced around with the A's and Rays last year and had a hilarious walk off home run against the Angels last year. He's struck out in 35.2% of his 389 career major league plate appearances, but has power and walks above average as someone who is probably a AAAA player.
- Evan Meek - 29 year old right handed relief pitcher from the Pirates who walks the world, doesn't strike out that many but several years ago used to get groundballs but doesn't seem to anymore.
- Jake Brigham - 24 year old starting pitcher who was a Rangers farm hand until he was dealt to the Cubs for Geovany Soto in July and then traded back to the Rangers for Barrett Loux to make good the deal after the Cubs discovered Brigham was injured.
- Finally, Wilfredo Boscan was sent to the San Diego Padres as the player to be named later to complete the Cory Burns trade.