So, earlier today we passed on the report that Jose Abreu, the 26 year old Cuban first baseman who defected in August and is a free agent, had narrowed his final list down to three teams, and the Rangers weren't one of them.
Now, T.R. Sullivan says that the Rangers are "making a push" for Abreu, and indicates a source familiar with the negotiations says Texas is expected to land Abreu.
Danny Knobler also says that a source has confirmed the Rangers' involvement in the Abreu talks.
Ken Rosenthal tweeted earlier that Abreu was "finalizing terms" on a 6 year, $68M deal, with the team expected to be the ChiSox, but at this point, it appears that situation is still up in the air.
Evan Grant, however, just tweeted the following:
As interested as #Rangers are in Abreu, I'm hearing White Sox are still expected to get him at $68 million.— Evan Grant (@Evan_P_Grant) October 18, 2013
Abreu, it sounds like, is going to make a decision soon -- it sounds like in the next 24-48 hours -- but its still not clear who is going to land him.
UPDATE -- Jeff Passan just tweeted that the Rangers aren't willing to go to 6/$68M for Abreu, and thus aren't expected to sign him.
UPDATE II -- Jeff Wilson says the Rangers aren't "comfortable" with Abreu's contract demands.