I have a lot of things I could say about Thanksgiving, but I'm too busy cooking, eating and drinking, so they'll have to wait. I love to cook holiday meals, I just find good recipes and follow the directions.
Today's menu, (and I would sincerely love to read yours):
- Appetizer I: figs wrapped in prosciutto, baked, an Ina Garten recipe.
- Appetizer II: my own idea, take your favorite cranberry sauce recipe, spoon a bit on toasted/grilled bread, bruschetta-style, add some thinly slice cheese (goat, gorgonzola, whatever) serve warm.
- Appetizer III: anything taking up valuable fridge space that could be used for leftovers in a few hours.
- Turkey (duh) - I use a wet brine.
- Stuffing - This year I'm trying Bobby Flay's bacon, kale, goat cheese recipe. It's hard to go wrong with stuffing, though. I think if you gave me a cellar full of cheap red wine and Stove Top I could live on it for several years. No, I haven't just eaten Stove Top straight out of the box, do you really think I would do that? Or croutons for that matter?
- Green Bean Casserole - A few years ago I tried creaming my own mushrooms (that sounds worse than it is). If you are using canned soup, I pity your sorry-assed, less-than-human existence. Do it for every holiday, or even your mother-in-law's birthday, just to make the house smell awesome.
- Cranberry Sauce - Holy shit I love cranberry sauce and I'm making 3 kinds this year: a recipe that includes horseradish, and two more Bobby Flay ideas with figs (since I was already geared up for figs with the appetizer) and blackberries
- Mashed Potatoes - my wife is making this. Unlike me, she is actually a talented cook. I must have a recipe to follow, she just makes mashed potatoes, and they will be very good. I might clarify some butter, carefully following the directions, for her to use, just to make sure it's ok...
- desserts, whatever, blah, blah blah. Frankly, I don't give a shit about dessert. My wife is making apple pie, it will be awesome, but for me the REAL dessert is eating early enough that I can have Thanksgiving leftovers for dinner.