Yu Darvish update: Texas Rangers righthanded pitcher Yu Darvish threw an 86 pitch bullpen session today, per Anthony Andro on Twitter:
No decision has been made on Yu Darvish. Threw 86 pitches in bullpen.— Anthony Andro (@aandro) April 1, 2014
The Rangers will probably want to see how Darvish feels tomorrow, but if I were to guess, I'd say that Darvish ends up starting for the Rangers either Sunday in Tampa or Monday in Boston.
The Rangers have been adamant that Nick Martinez, named to the Opening Day starting rotation, will take his turn on Saturday, but the Rangers could slide Darvish into one of those two spots in the rotation. Colby Lewis, set to pitch in an exhibition game today, could potentially take the other start, meaning that Darvish and Lewis would have each missed just a single start.
Darvish was put on the disabled list after a stiff neck prevented him from pitching late in the spring. Hopefully, the physical issues are behind him, and Yu will be ready to Yu in the near fYuture.
UPDATE -- Drew Davison confirms we'll know more tomorrow:
#Rangers likely won't set a plan for Yu Darvish's return until Wednesday. They want to see how he recovers from 86-pitch bullpen session.— Drew Davison (@drewdavison) April 1, 2014
- Yu Darvish update: Darvish, Colby Lewis could be activated this week
- Yu Darvish update: Darvish has successful bullpen session
- Matt Harrison injury update: Harrison to start rehab assignment Thursday
- Texas Rangers Opening Day starting lineup announced
- Texas Rangers roster: Opening Day 25 man roster announced