Is Colby Lewis about to be back?
Evan Grant reports that Colby Lewis threw 92 pitches tonight in a minor league exhibition game, giving up 10 hits and five runs over 5.1 innings.
The bad news there is that Lewis did give up more damage than you'd like to see. But Grant thinks that, by going 92 pitches, Lewis showed enough to give the Rangers confidence that he can handle a spot in the major league rotation.
Lewis can opt out of his deal if he isn't in the majors by April 10, so it seems likely that whether he's called up to make his next start in the majors, or makes another start in the minors instead, Lewis is going to be in the Ranger rotation no later than April 11.
The decision the Rangers will then have to make, with Lewis and Yu Darvish returning, is who gets bumped from the rotation to make room for them. Nick Martinez will almost certainly go back to AA Frisco, but that still leaves one of Joe Saunders, Tanner Scheppers and Robbie Ross who would be squeezed out.
- Yu Darvish update: Darvish, Colby Lewis could be activated this week
- Yu Darvish update: Darvish throws 86 pitch bullpen session
- Matt Harrison injury update: Harrison to start rehab assignment Thursday
- Daniel McCutchen called up, Chris Gimenez DFA'd
- Michael Kirkman clears waivers, is outrighted to AAA