Astros 5, Rangers 4
- It seems fitting that, on the day we learned the Rangers would likely be without both Martin Perez and Matt Harrison for the rest of the season, Texas blew a 4-0 lead and got walked off by the Astros.
- Nick Tepesch had a solid outing today. He said after the game he wasn't aggressive enough early in the count in the early innings, resulting in longer at bats and his pitch count getting run up, but he pitched well enough for the Rangers to be in a position to win. Tepesch will likely be in the rotation for the foreseeable future, so the Rangers need some more outings like this from him, albeit hopefully longer ones where he's more efficient.
- Nick Martinez being asked to pitch two innings late in a tie game is one of those 2014 Rangers moments. This is likely Martinez's last relief appearance for a while, as he seems to be headed back to the rotation, and will apparently started on Tuesday.
- Texas has a day off tomorrow. That's a good thing.
- This seemed like a team that was a bit on edge today. Shin-Soo Choo barked at the home plate umpire in his very first at bat of the game, Elvis Andrus and J.P. Arencibia complained about called strike calls late in the game, and overall, you got a vibe that players are a bit cranky. Can't say I blame them.
- The Rangers should have scored more runs in this game, and missed out on opportunities. It seemed like it wouldn't matter, once they were up 4-0 in the 6th, but alas...
- Adrian Beltre had three hits tonight, as he appears to have pretty solidly snapped out of his slump. Prince Fielder and Elvis Andrus each had a pair of hits tonight, as did Leonys Martin. Those guys continuing to hit would help keep this team in the race this summer.