The Rangers had interest in Williams as rotation depth after Derek Holland injured his knee in January, but Williams ended up signing with the Astros instead on a $2.1 million major league deal. Williams was released by the Astros after putting up a 6.04 ERA in 26 games out of the bullpen.
Williams, 32, will provide the Rangers with some additional minor league depth as they deal with their ongoing Season From Hell.
I have a soft spot for Williams, who had a very nice rookie season with the Giants in 2003, putting up a 3.30 ERA/3.96 FIP in 131 innings for San Fran as a 21 year old...in that high octane offense era, that was worth a 2.3 bWAR. I wanted the Rangers to try to acquire him, but he ended up getting dealt to the Cubs in 2005 in a deal for LaTroy Hawkins, and since 2005, has had little success.
- Texas Rangers rumors: Joakim Soria drawing interest from Angels, Blue Jays, Tigers
- Texas Rangers transactions: Matt West up, Phil Irwin optioned
- Derek Holland injury update: Holland to start rehab assignment on July 23
- Dave Cameron on the Texas Rangers situation
- Nick Martinez to the disabled list, Phil Irwin up