Sorry about no game day thread today...I just got back from watching this weekend's games between Frisco and Corpus Christi, and was sans internet access...
Some thoughts on some Frisco prospects...
- Ruddy Yan is fast. Real, real fast. He doesn't seem to know how to play, but he's one of the fastest players I've ever seen.
- I don't understand what the big deal is about Joaquin Arias. To my untrained eye, he appears to have a terrible approach at the plate, swinging at everything that's close. He's skinny, but didn't show much power. His one good AB that I saw came when he actually worked the count a little, got to 2-0, and then turned on a fastball down the middle, but even then, it was basically a long fly that barely made it into the left field bleachers, probably only 340 feet or so. And while he does have a ton of range, I also saw him boot two balls that he used that range to get to, although both were called hits. Good speed, nothing great. I just don't see what all the excitement is about.
- Frankie Francisco isn't close to being ready. He was throwing 89-90 on Saturday night, with poor control. The defense hurt him, as well, causing him to give up four runs, but he's not at the point where he'd do any good in a major league pen right now.
- Masset and Rupe both pitched very well. Both looked, to me, pretty similar...fastballs in the 90-91 range, pretty decent breaking stuff, good command. Both handled the Hooks.
- Mike Nickeas doesn't look as bad at the plate as his .125 average would indicate, but he needs to be back in A ball.
- Drew Meyer looks like David Eckstein out there.
- Juan Senreiso is an incredible physical specimen.
- Jason Hart hit the ball real well. He shouldn't be in AA, of course...but he looked like the best position player out there.
- There were a ton of scouts out there on Sunday, although I don't know why.