I don't know whether to be impressed with the comeback, even though it fell short, or disappointed with the loss.
I will say, though, that the Rangers could use David Dellucci right now. Rod Barajas should never be hitting with the bases loaded and two out in the bottom of the 8th, down a run and facing Mariano Rivera.
The Rangers could use a lefty corner outfielder who could spell Kevin Mench and Phil Nevin from time to time, and who could come off the bench as a pinch-hitter in situations like that.
We don't need Adrian Brown, Drew Meyer, and D'Angelo Jimenez all on the roster. We need a lefty bench bat, and Meyer could go back to AAA.
Of course, it could be worse...the Astros saw their bullpen blow a 1 run 9th inning lead in Colorado, in one of the worst ways imaginable:
Bottom 9th: Colorado
- B. Lidge relieved C. Qualls
- B. Hawpe doubled to deep left center
- C. Barmes safe at first on third baseman M. Ensberg's throwing error, B. Hawpe to third, B. Hawpe scored, C. Barmes to second
- C. Freeman hit for R. Ramirez
- C. Freeman sacrificed to pitcher, C. Barmes to third
- E. Marrero hit for M. Ojeda
- E. Marrero walked
- D. Wheeler relieved B. Lidge
- E. Marrero to second on fielder's indifference
- C. Sullivan intentionally walked
- J. Carroll walked, C. Barmes scored, E. Marrero to third, C. Sullivan to second