It's been in place for a couple months, and we're now ready to start taking reservations: Newberg Report Night at Ameriquest Field will be Sunday, July 2, against the Astros...and if Houston keeps Roger Clemens on an every-fifth-day schedule, that will be his night to pitch. We had 200 of you attend last year; we can take more this year.
The gathering will be very much like last July's. Here's what we have planned:
1. A ticket to the Sunday, July 2 event costs $30 a person, and gets you the following:
a. JON DANIELS (tentative): Admission to the auditorium adjoining the Legends of the Game Museum near the center field entrance to the ballpark, where Rangers general manager Jon Daniels will hold an exclusive Q&A session with our entire group - with comfortable auditorium seating - before the game. More details on time coming soon, but I'd expect us to gather at around 5:00 p.m. in advance of the 7:05 p.m. game.
b. WILL CARROLL: Baseball Prospectus writer Will Carroll, who delivers the renowned "Under the Knife" column and has authored several books, including "Saving the Pitcher" and "The Juice: The Real Story of Baseball's Drug Problems," will join us as well.
c. TOY DRIVE: The great Allen Cordrey is once again organizing a toy drive and will have the Newberg Report kick it off. Please bring new, unwrapped toys with you to the auditorium, where we will collect them for donation to a worthy organization that supports needy kids. We collected 450 toys last year, and I expect us to break that record again, as we've done each year.
Allen, as always, will have baseball-related prizes that will be given to selected people who bring toys.
d. AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY: You'll recall that we also made a donation to the Hello Win Column Fund last year, and this year we will host a family impacted by cancer at the event. Cindy Kuster, the daughter of the late Mark Holtz, will act as liaison between the American Cancer Society and the Newberg Report and help select the family who will participate.
e. LUXURY SUITES: We will all watch the Rangers-Astros game from luxury suites. The suites, for those of you who have never been in one, are air-conditioned and well furnished, have their own TV sets and bathrooms, and open onto balconies if you prefer to watch the game outside. Each suite holds 20 people, and we'll have as many suites as we need. To keep costs down, we are not catering the event this year (same as last year); you will be able to go to the concession stands and bring anything other than alcoholic beverages back into the suites. There will be food service representatives stopping by the suites that will sell alcoholic beverages to you if you'd like.
- ROGER CLEMENS? Roger Clemens is scheduled to debut for Houston on June 22. If the Astros skip their fifth starter due to a June 29 off-day, that would put Clemens on the mound in Arlington for our event.
- NEWBERG REPORT DONATION: As we did last year, we will donate a portion of your $30 admission to a local charity. More on that soon.
- PROMOTIONS: July 2nd is Picnic Blanket Day, as well as Dreyer's $1 Ice Cream Sunday.
Even if you aren't prepared to pay right now, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know how many people you think you will bring.
The cost, once again, is $30, and you can pay in one of two ways:
- You can order by credit card through PayPal by going to www.paypal.com, selecting the "Send money" option, and typing in email@example.com where you are prompted for the e-mail account.
- Or you can send a check or money order, payable to "Jamey Newberg," to:
Vial, Hamilton, Koch & Knox
1700 Pacific Avenue, Suite 2800
Dallas, TX 75201
Let me know what questions you have. I look forward to seeing lots of you there on the 2nd.
And thanks to Adam for letting me post this here.