Major League Baseball in instituting some rule changes this season, the first changes since the interpretation of the strike zone was re-defined back in 1996.
- Games that end in a tie, due to inclement weather or other issues, will now be considered "suspended" and will be resumed at a later date from the stoppage. Previously, tie games were considered an official game, and the game would be completely replayed from the beginning.
- Pitchers have 12 seconds, rather than 20 second, to deliver a pitch when no one is on base. If they don't throw within 12 seconds, it is an automatic ball.
- Batters have to keep one foot in the batter's box during an at bat. If a batter leaves the box, it is an automatic strike.
- There is an automatic 10 game suspension for scuffing the ball or putting a foreign substance on the ball.
- The rules now specify that masculine pronouns in the rule book shall be interpreted as gender-neutral.