The Rangers met as an organization to discuss their 25-man roster on Friday...
* First baseman Chris Shelton and utility infielders Ryan Roberts were reassigned to the Minor Leagues. Ramon Vazquez is on the team as the utility infielder.
* Kason Gabbard and Luis Mendoza are in the Rangers rotation but manager Ron Washington said they haven't officially decided who will be the No. 4 starter and who will be the No. 5 starter. The No. 5 starter will start the season at Triple A Oklahoma because he won't be needed until April 12.
* No decision on the catching situation. Gerald Laird is expected to be the Opening Day starter but the Rangers haven't decided if Jarrod Saltalamacchia will share time at the big league level or start at Triple A Oklahoma.
* The last spot on the bench remains open, whether it will be Jason Botts or Kevin Mench.
* Five spots in the bullpen are taken: C.J. Wilson, Eddie Guardado, Joaquin Benoit, Kazuo Fukumori and Jamey Wright. Two spots are open.
* Guardado still down with a bug. The Rangers still think he'll be ready for the season but this is worth watching.
Interesting. I'm a little surprised there's still a battle going on on Botts v. Mench, but it sounds like Nelson Cruz is out of the mix.
I'm sure a lot of folks will be glad to know that Sidney Ponson isn't making the team.
And on the bullpen, I'm not going to belabor the issue of the Electrician. I do think Wes Littleton should get one of the two open slots, though, and given that the 5th starter will start the season in the minors, one would expect that someone like Kam Loe or Frankie Francisco, who has options remaining, could start the season on the roster, then be sent down when Gabbard or Mendoza is called up.