Torii Hunter, rumored to have been hotly pursued by the Texas Rangers, is instead signing a one year, $10.5 million deal with the Minnesota Twins, according to multiple reports on Twitter.
Hunter, who turns 40 during the 2015 season, was being courted by multiple teams, and there were a lot of reports out there that the Rangers were among the most aggressive pursuing Hunter, supposedly putting a lot of value on his intangibles and leadership.
It isn't reasonable to expect that Hunter could provide you with $10.5M worth of value on the field in 2015...this appears to be a significant overpay, unless you place a lot of value on the off-the-field stuff that Hunter does.
There appeared to be very little support among the LSB faithful for signing Hunter, so I'm sure there will be much sighing of relief in the comments here.
- Texas Rangers rumors: Torii Hunter rumors continue to swirl
- Texas Rangers rumors: Torii Hunter, Rangers continue to talk
- Texas Rangers rumors: Torii Hunter "looking at" Texas
- Texas Rangers rumors: Kendrys Morales on the Rangers' radar, per Jon Heyman
- Texas Rangers rumors: Jeff Samardzija a potential Rangers target?