Texas Rangers first baseman Prince Fielder is scheduled to have surgery Tuesday for a herniated disc in his neck. The surgery would likely be season-ending.
Fielder, of course, had the 25th longest consecutive games played streak in major league history before missing a game last week with the neck issue. This will be his first time to be on the disabled list. His durability and good health was a significant reason why the Rangers were willing to trade Ian Kinsler to acquire him this past offseason.
With Fielder now on the shelf, I would expect the Rangers to look long and hard at signing Kendrys Morales to a one year deal after June 5. Signing Morales prior to that date would cost the signing team a draft pick. Adding Morales would allow the Rangers to make Mitch Moreland the full-time first baseman, with Morales taking over at DH.
- Prince Fielder injury: Fielder "seriously considering" season-ending surgery, per Jeff Wilson
- Prince Fielder out of the lineup today, seeing Dr. Dossett tomorrow
- Prince Fielder, Leonys Martin both scratched from the lineup
- Prince Fielder has herniated disc in his neck, could need surgery
- Texas Rangers rumors: the Rangers should trade Adrian Beltre, Elvis Andrus, says Jon Paul Morosi