Friday, June 6 7:05: RHP Trevor Bauer vs. RHP Yu Darvish
Saturday, June 7 3:05: RHP Josh Tomlin vs. RHP Nick Tepesch
Sunday, June 8 2:05: RHP Justin Masterson vs. LHP Joe Saunders
Monday, June 9 7:05: LHP T.J. House vs. RHP Nick Martinez
Both the Rangers and Indians are 30-30 through 60 games this season but that's not important.
This is the only thing you need to know about this series and/or life:
From the gutter to the grail we rise up to win it
Wahoo's on first with the rise on the pennant
Going all in, Cleveland Indians
From the gutter to the bling now they call us champions
This is how we do it with beauty we be moving
Takin bases with ease
Born and bred we are the truest
Guard the wall we always cruisin
Gettin stupid throwin cheddar
Other teams are lookin clueless
Ain't nobody do it better
We get knocks
We flash leather for days
Kip and Cabbie amaze
With the top ten plays
Cody Allen turn the heat up
Reynolds hittin cleanup
You know we never ease up
2013 and we’re all up for the ring
Nasty Masty with the sink
Scotty K with the swings and whiffs
Hand it off to Smith just to flick at the wrist
Gettin filthy with the pitch
To Santana at the dish whippin the hose out
CP in the 9th, you know we gonna close out
So what do y’all know bout Swisher and his swag
Smokin pitchers like cigars
Are you picturing that?
Here's a breakdown of the pitching match-ups against Johnny Football's favorite baseball team:
- Yu Darvish: 5-2, 10.77 K/9, 2.73 BB/9, .279 BABIP, 83.9% LOB, 2.23 FIP, 3.16 xFIP, 2.7 WAR - Two starts in 2014: 4 runs allowed in 23.0 innings
- Trevor Bauer: 1-2, 11.69 K/9, 3.63 BB/9, .327 BABIP, 82.7% LOB, 4.14 FIP, 3.11 xFIP, 0.2 WAR - Last three starts: 8 runs allowed in 16.1 innings
Thoughts: Better pitcher: Yu Darvish
Better rapper: Yu Darvish
Better human: Yu Darvish
More likely to throw a complete game: Trevor Bauer :(
- Nick Tepesch: 2-1, 7.52 K/9, 3.10 BB/9, .293 BABIP, 76.9% LOB, 5.13 FIP, 4.06 xFIP, 0.1 WAR - Two starts in 2014: 9 runs allowed in 15.0 innings
- Josh Tomlin: 3-2, 8.35 K/9, 1.39 BB/9, .225 BABIP, 70.8% LOB, 4.09 FIP, 3.30 xFIP, 0.3 WAR - Last three appearances: 5 runs allowed in 13.2 innings
Thoughts: Big Dick Nick is learning quickly about the refractory period of pitching in the major leagues. Hopefully Josh Tomlin can be natural viagra for the limp Ranger offense.
- Joe Saunders: 0-1, 7.36 K/9, 3.68 BB/9, .373 BABIP, 83.3% LOB, 4.64 FIP, 4.47 xFIP, 0.1 WAR - Last three starts: 6 runs allowed in 14.2 innings
- Justin Masterson: 3-4, 8.23 K/9, 4.48 BB/9, .321 BABIP, 65.8% LOB, 3.89 FIP, 3.83 xFIP, 0.8 WAR - Last three starts: 6 runs allowed in 15.2 innings
Thoughts: Can someone explain to me how someone like Nasty Masty, who walks nearly five guys per nine innings, was able to throw 25 straight strikes in his last start? Baseball, you're one strange bird.
Every time I try to say Joe Saunders' name it comes out like a gross wet fart sound.
- Nick Martinez: 1-2, 4.23 K/9, 4.03 BB/9, .302 BABIP, 81.5% LOB, 5.22 FIP, 5.53 xFIP, 0.1 WAR - Last three starts: 9 runs allowed in 17.0 innings
- T.J. House: 0-1, 6.16 K/9, 2.37 BB/9, .333 BABIP, 84.7% LOB, 4.86 FIP, 3.56 xFIP, 0.0 WAR - Last three starts: 8 runs allowed in 18.0 innings
Thoughts: So that's 2.7 fWAR for Darvish and, including Nick Martinez, 0.3 fWAR combined for the other three starters going in this series for the Rangers. Yikes.
At least the Cleveland rotation, including T.J. House, has also been a disaster so far this season minus one guy. That one guy is Corey Kluber and the Rangers miss him in this series.
Cleveland Indians (30-30, 3rd Place in AL Central)
Rangers' Record vs. Cleveland: First series in 2014 (1-5 in 2013)
Cleveland's Recent Results: 3-0 home series sweep of the Boston Red Sox
Cleveland's Road Record: 9-19
The Ballpark Park Factors (LHB/RHB): HR: 108/96 - Runs: 110/108
SB Nation Indians Blog: Let's Go Tribe
|Match-up: (as of 06/06)||Rangers||Indians||Advantage|
|Batting (RAR)||-11.4 (18th)||14.3 (4th)||The Tribe has an actual offense. Gulp.|
|Base Running (RAR)||1.2 (11th)||0.5 (14th)||Wash is calling for a hit and run right now|
|Starters (RAR)||25.3||12.3||I have to praise Yu|
|13.9 (11th)||Ogando's going to miss a month and still lead the AL in appearances|
|Defense (UZR)||-7.6 (21st)||-32.5 (30th)||Here's your problem|
|Overall (UZR + RAR)||27.2||8.5||
I could use a few 10 cent beers
Questions to Answer:
- Where do you stand on the Chief Wahoo issue?
- Who is your Return of the McLemore Approved Player to Watch in this series? (Alex Rios is pretty nice to look at.)
- Over/Under: 15.5 innings you watch of this series after Yu Darvish exists tonight's game?
- What's your guess for line (IP/H/K/BB/ER) by Nick Martinez in the finale on Monday as he tries to right the ship?
- Yea or Nay: The Rangers win this series and escape .500 purgatory?