The Houston Astros have failed to sign #1 overall draft pick Brady Aiken, according to multiple reports.
The Astros also failed to sign draft picks Jacob Nix and Mac Marshall. The Astros could not sign the two of them without signing Aiken without going over their allotted budget pool, and incurring massive penalties.
This has potentially significant ramifications for the Texas Rangers. At this point, it appears likely the Rangers will have a high draft pick in the 2015 draft, potentially a top five pick. However, by virtue of not signing Aiken, the Astros will now have the #2 overall pick in the 2015 draft as compensation. That means that, unless the Rangers have the worst record in baseball -- and thus get the #1 overall selection -- their pick will be one slot lower than it would have been otherwise.
Of course, as things stand now, getting the #1 overall selection is not out of the question.
- Texas Rangers rumors: Joakim Soria being discussed by the Rangers and Tigers
- Yu Darvish criticism: Responding to the latest media rip job on Yu Darvish
- Texas Rangers rumors: The return of J.P. Arencibia
- 2014 Texas Rangers Mid-Season Grades -- Pitchers
- 2014 Texas Rangers Mid-Season Grades -- Position Players