Monday, July 21 6:05: RHP Shane Greene vs. RHP Miles Mikolas
Tuesday, July 22 6:05: RHP Chase Whitley vs. RHP Nick Martinez
Wednesday, July 23 6:05: RHP David Phelps vs. RHP Yu Darvish
Thursday, July 24 12:05: RHP Brandon McCarthy vs. RHP Colby Lewis
Here's what I'm expecting from the rest of this Rangers season:
Here's a breakdown of the pitching match-ups against the team that employs Derek Jeter:
- Miles Mikolas: 0-2, 7.53 K/9, 1.88 BB/9, .431 BABIP, 43.7% LOB, 4.12 FIP, 3.72 xFIP, 0.2 WAR - Last three starts: 16 runs allowed in 14.1 innings
- Shane Greene: 2-0, 7.90 K/9, 3.29 BB/9, .200 BABIP, 71.4% LOB, 3.65 FIP, 3.63 xFIP, 0.3 WAR - Two career starts: 2 runs allowed in 13.1 innings
Thoughts: Miles Mikolas has perhaps the worst rate stats of all time while Shane Greene has been pretty lucky. All of that is in a pretty minuscule number of innings but baseball is a pretty big jerk.
- Nick Martinez: 1-6, 3.30 K/9, 4.16 BB/9, .300 BABIP, 71.7% LOB, 5.99 FIP, 5.88 xFIP, -0.3 WAR - Last three starts: 12 runs allowed in 14.1 innings
- Chase Whitley: 4-3, 6.59 K/9, 1.98 BB/9, .352 BABIP, 70.5% LOB, 3.98 FIP, 3.97 xFIP, 1.1 WAR - Last three appearances: 7 runs allowed in 8.2 innings
Thoughts: Chase Whitley just sounds like a WASPy affluent east coast kind of guy. Chase Whitley was born to wear pinstripes.
Nick Martinez is threatening to join the pantheon of butt turd awful starting pitching seasons among the likes of Aaron Myette, Rob Bell, and Tony Mounce.
- Yu Darvish: 9-5, 11.36 K/9, 3.10 BB/9, .323 BABIP, 78.7% LOB, 2.76 FIP, 3.04 xFIP, 3.7 WAR - Last three starts: 11 runs allowed in 17.2 innings
- David Phelps: 4-4, 7.84 K/9, 3.49 BB/9, .290 BABIP, 73.6% LOB, 4.39 FIP, 4.14 xFIP, 0.8 WAR - Last three starts: 5 runs allowed in 19.1 innings
Thoughts: The Rangers have truly become a win-on-Darvish-day, pray-for-a-week team. Had there been any humor in this world, this would have been a Darvish vs. Tanaka start but Tanaka got hurt proving once again that Darvish is king of the Japanese pitchers.
Maybe David Phelps has some Japanese ancestry and will play along.
- Colby Lewis: 6-7, 7.89 K/9, 2.93 BB/9, .413 BABIP, 66.2% LOB, 4.11 FIP, 4.34 xFIP, 1.3 WAR - Last three starts: 15 runs allowed in 13.1 innings
- Brandon McCarthy: 4-10, 7.72 K/9, 1.54 BB/9, .347 BABIP, 67.5% LOB, 3.69 FIP, 2.87 xFIP, 1.5 WAR - Last three starts: 4 runs allowed in 18.1 innings
Thoughts: It's literally our old pal Brandon McCarthy! He's back in the American League but he's not a gross Oakland A anymore! He's making jokes about finding a place in New York is like the show Naked and Afraid! His wife can't make it to the stadium on time because whoa crazy New York traffic! He's so lanky but in pinstripes now!!
fWAR still likes Colby a lot and that's fine by me because I still like Colby a lot. Unfortunately, it's because fWAR thinks Colby has been unlucky when really he's just been Roy Oswaltian hittable. :(
New York Yankees (50-47, 2nd Place in AL East)
Rangers' Record vs. New York: First series in 2014
New York's Recent Results: 3-0 home series sweep of the Cincinnati Reds
New York's Home Record: 21-23
Yankee Stadium Park Factors (LHB/RHB): HR: 133/125 - Runs: 104/107
SB Nation Yankees Blog: Pinstripe Alley
|Match-up: (as of 07/21)||Rangers||Yankees||Advantage|
|Batting (RAR)||-45.7 (26th)||-39.4 (22nd)||It's not 1999 anymore|
|Base Running (RAR)||3.1 (5th)||2.0 (9th)||Derek Jeter knows a first to third|
|Starters (RAR)||42.5||30.9||Yu Darvish alone is better than seven other dudes|
|40.1 (2nd)||What's a Dellin Betances?|
|Defense (UZR)||-14.4 (24th)||-9.3 (20th)||Battle of the jump throws!|
|Overall (UZR + RAR)||15.1||24.3||
It's not even 1996 anymore
Questions to Answer:
- What is your favorite Derek Jeter memory?
- Who is your Return of the McLemore Approved Player to Watch in this series? (I'm a baseball fan so of course I want to watch Derek Jeter.)
- Over/Under: 5.5 jimmy jacks by Derek Jeter in this series?
- What's your guess for line (IP/H/K/BB/ER) by Nick Martinez as he returns to the rotation on Tuesday to face Derek Jeter?
- Yea or Nay: Derek Jeter is your favorite baseball player ever?