Rangers rumors: Nick Martinez has been activated from the disabled list, and will make the start tonight in New York against the Yankees.
To make room for Martinez on the active roster, catcher Geovany Soto has been placed on the disabled list with a right groin strain.
Martinez went on the d.l. with a strained back muscle, but was only on the disabled list for a short period of time, and it had been known for some time now that he would be activated for tonight's game. The only question was, who would be removed from the active roster to take his spot?
It was thought that outfielder Dan Robertson would be optioned, but with Soto straining his groin muscle in last night's game, and the Rangers having three other catchers on the active roster anyway, Soto ends up being the odd man out.
It has been a lost season for Soto, who spent the entire first half of the season on the disabled list after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee. Soto was only activated Friday, and has just 11 plate appearances on the season.
- LSB Mid-Season Community Prospect Rankings -- The Top 25
- Spencer Patton Video -- Texas Rangers minor league pitcher strikes out a batter
- Tomas Telis, Texas Rangers minor league catcher
- Keith Law Top 50 Prospect List: 3 Rangers make the grade
- Texas Rangers rumors: Jim Adduci activated, Matt West optioned