Cliff Lee injury: So, you remember me talking about the Rangers maybe trading for Cliff Lee?
Well, nevermind. He's left tonight's game with what appears to be an elbow injury:
Cliff Lee is exiting the game with an injury.— Matt Gelb (@MattGelb) July 31, 2014
Cliff Lee threw an 85-m.p.h. cutter, yelled an expletive, and waved his arms in disgust. That is how it ended.— Matt Gelb (@MattGelb) August 1, 2014
Lee looked as if he might cry in the dugout. Incredible emotion from a man who never shows it.— Matt Gelb (@MattGelb) August 1, 2014
This is always the risk with pitchers -- even the durable ones break relatively easily. And with Lee, it sounds like there is a non-zero chance he's thrown his last major league pitch until 2016.
I'm not a Phillies fan, but just as a baseball fan, this sucks.
Phillies say Cliff Lee left tonight's game with a left flexor pronator strain. Same injury as before.— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) August 1, 2014
- Tanner Scheppers, Alexi Ogando, Kevin Kouzmanoff, Jurickson Profar all done for the year
- Texas Rangers rumors: Alex Rios, Neal Cotts stay in Texas
- MLB trade rumors: Detroit Tigers get David Price
- Texas Rangers trade rumors: Jarred Cosart on the Rangers radar?
- Rangers trade rumors: John Lackey dealt to the Cardinals