Rangers 12, Mariners 4
- How about that Colby Lewis? A complete game victory today for Colby, who needed just 112 pitches on the day, with 79 of them being strikes. He allowed a pair of solo homers, as well as a two run Kendrys Morales double, but I'll take 4 runs over 9 innings from Colby any day, particularly when Colby fans 7 batters and walks only one. Colby's ERA on the season is still 5.44, but especially of late, he has pitched better than the 5.44 ERA would indicate.
- The Rangers are now 2-0 in games that Tomas Telis starts at catcher, and Telis is hitting .500 as a major leaguer. Look out, Robinson Chirinos...
- The big blows for the Rangers today came off of the bats of rookies who the Rangers never expected to be in the big leagues this year. Telis got the Rangers on the board in the second inning with a bases loaded double on a drive to right field that Logan Morrison couldn't hold onto, and Rougned Odor had a third inning grand slam to make it an 8-1 game, and allow the Rangers to put it in cruise control.
- Odor is the youngest player in Rangers history to hit a grand slam, and the youngest major leaguer since Jose Reyes did it as a 20 year old.
- Every Ranger except Michael Choice got a hit today, and Choice had a key HBP to set up the Telis 3-RBI double.
- Leonys Martin hit leadoff and had a big game, going 3 for 5 with a home run. Telis also had multiple hits, going 2 for 4.
- Texas is now 52-80 on the season. I get that this is a lost season, and round numbers don't really matter, and all that, but I'd really like to see Texas avoid 100 losses. As of right now, Texas needs to go 11-19 over their final 30 games to get to 63-99. If they go .500 the rest of the way, they'd end up at 67-95.