The Houston Astros have traded outfielder Dexter Fowler to the Chicago Cubs for pitcher Dan Straily and Luis Valbuena.
The deal was tweeted by the official Astros Twitter feed, so I'm assuming its really happened, as compared to this Yovani Gallardo trade, which is being talked about but hasn't occurred yet.
The Astros acquired Fowler last offseason from the Rockies in exchange for Brandon Barnes and Jordan Lyles -- he's eligible for free agency after the season. The Cubs got Straily from the A's as part of the Jeff Samardzija/Jason Hammel pillaging of Oakland that Chicago did last summer. Valbuena, 29, has two years left before he's eligible for free agency, so I'm assuming he'll be moved next offseason in some random deal, much like Fowler was this year.
- Texas Rangers rumors: Yovani Gallardo deal agreed to in principle, per Sherman
- Texas Rangers rumors: Yovani Gallardo trade talk swirls, but no confirmation yet
- Texas Rangers rumors: Yovani Gallardo acquired by Texas, per Rosenthal
- Texas Rangers rumors: Kyle Kendrick, Ryan Vogelsong pursued by Rangers
- Video: the latest Evan Grant/Gina Miller "The Grill Live"