Texas Rangers outfielder Ryan Rua, who sprained his ankle today going after a ball in the corner, is expected to go on the disabled list, says Jon Daniels (via Jeff Wilson on Twitter).
This is a pretty big blow for the Rangers, who were already thin in the outfield. The Rangers claimed Alex Hassan on waivers, and my initial thought was that he could be called up if they needed an extra bench guy for a few days. But if Rua is going to be on the shelf for a couple of weeks, the Rangers might look at Carlos Peguero, who was in the mix for the Opening Day roster until the end of the spring, or Michael Choice.
The Rangers also have Kyle Blanks in AAA, though he is still working his way back to full health, as well as Jared Hoying, who can play all three outfield positions. Antoan Richardson was added to the 40 man roster this spring, but he is currently on the 60 day disabled list due to back surgery.
The Rangers seem likely to make a pair of moves tomorrow, with Rua and Derek Holland both apparently d.l.-bound. With the bullpen throwing 8 innings today, it seems likely the Rangers will bring up a fresh arm -- someone like Jon Edwards or Alex Claudio -- to join the bullpen for the weekend.
- Ryan Rua leaves game after five innings with sprained ankle
- Derek Holland won't throw for 4-6 weeks with "sub scapular strain"
- Shin-Soo Choo pulled after two innings with back spasms
- Derek Holland leaves after one inning with shoulder stiffness
- Texas Rangers claim Alex Hassan on waivers from Oakland