Rangers 5, Indians 1
- I'm glad we didn't get swept.
- Weird game from Nick Martinez, who barely made it five innings, needed 103 pitches to make it those 5, and yet still just gave up a single run. Martinez's command was not great today and he allowed 5 hits, 5 walks and an HBP, but he managed to retire Indians when there were runners in scoring position and was somehow able to keep the Rangers in the game.
- Ross Ohlendorf was called up today, came into the game in the sixth inning, and had a 1-2-3 inning on 14 pitches. I thought he might pitch the seventh, but instead Tanner Scheppers (who was also called up today) got the nod, and he ended up pitching a perfect seventh and a perfect eighth. Shawn Tolleson allowed a two out single to Jason Kipnis in the ninth, or else the relievers for Texas would have registered four perfect innings today. Scheppers was really good out of the pen in 2013, and it isn't unreasonable to believe he can provide some stability to the back of the bullpen this year.
- Neftali Feliz was warming in the 8th, but didn't pitch the 9th. Its not quite clear whether he had an issue, or if he was just out there warming in case Scheppers got into trouble. Evan Grant speculated Feliz could be heading to the disabled list so that Phil Klein can be called up to start on Wednesday. I don't know at this point what the deal is with Feliz.
- A big game for Mitch Moreland, who just barely missed hitting a two run homer in the second (his blast hit the very top of the wall in right field, and Adrian Beltre scored on the play due to a throwing error), and did hit a two run homer in the sixth, which gave Texas a 4-1 lead. Moreland appears to have come off the d.l. hitting as well as he did before he got hurt.
- All the hits came from the 2-6 spots in the order. Moreland and Prince Fielder each had two hits, and Elvis Andrus, Adrian Beltre and Delino DeShields, Jr., had one hit apiece. The Rangers didn't get a bunch of baserunners, but they clumped them together well.
- I'm really glad that we aren't going into an off day tomorrow having been swept at home by the Indians. Yesterday's loss was a kick in the gut, but a nice 5-1 win today really helps you to get over that.