The Rangers have gotten into a bad habit of doing nothing at the plate for the first four or five innings of a game and then hoping they can get to the starter his third time through the order or feast on the various bullpens. It's worked somewhat. It also probably isn't a sustainable offensive philosophy but, as we've seen in this series, it is apparently a key component of #nevereverquit.
The Rangers had two runs on five hits heading into the 8th inning. Suddenly Jeff Banister flipped the Never Quit Button.
Top 8th - (4 Runs, 5 Hits, 0 Errors)
- Choo struck out swinging.
- Desmond singled to right.
- Odor singled to right center, Desmond to third.
- Beltran singled to right, Desmond scored, Odor to third.
- DeShields ran for Beltran.
- Beltre doubled to deep center, Odor and DeShields scored.
- McGee relieved Oberg.
- Moreland lined out to left.
- Andrus singled to center, Beltre scored, Andrus to second advancing on throw.
- Lucroy hit for Mazara.
- Lucroy struck out swinging.
Handball gif of the day:
Player of the Game: While the Rangers were making John Blake blush with their ability to pecked away at a 4-0 and then 5-1 deficit, big ups to Alex Claudio coming in and throwing 2 1/3 innings of scoreless ball in relief of A.J. Griffin. Claudio is living up to Jon Daniels' "winning piece" designation and the Rangers don't win today if not for Claudio coming in and settling things down.
Up Next: These two teams reconvene in Arlington for the Texas leg of this unofficial four-game series. Martin Perez makes the start for Texas against left-hander Jorge De La Rosa of Colorado. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 pm CT.