The last several years, Max Rieper at Royals Review has overseen a simulated offseason, with 30 different individuals taking on the role of g.m. for 30 different MLB teams. I once again was the sim g.m. for the Rangers, and made moves in line with what I believe the team’s budget and goals are this offseason. You can check out the results here.
The moves I made as Rangers g.m. were:
- Exercised options on Tony Barnette and Martin Perez, declined option on Mike Napoli
- Non-tendered AJ Griffin
- Traded Josh Morgan to Phillies for Jake Thompson
- Traded Michael De Leon to the Padres for Travis Jankowski
- Traded Willie Calhoun, Jurickson Profar, and Ariel Jurado to the Royals for Danny Duffy
- Signed Lorenzo Cain to a 5 year, $70 million deal
- Signed Miles Mikolas to a two-year, $16 million deal with a $12 million vesting option and $1 million buyout
- Signed Miguel Gonzalez to a 1 year, $6 million deal with a $8 million club option and a $1 million buyout
- Signed Chris Martin for 2 years, $6 million with a $5 million club option and $1 million buyout
- Signed Robbie Ross and Bobby Wilson to minor league deals
This is with the caveat that Shohei Ohtani wasn’t included in this sim, since his situation is so unusual its not really possible to try to sim it.
Let me know your thoughts on my moves, and the sim as a whole...