- Hey, a win! I was starting to forget what those were like.
- And it wasn’t looking good for much of today’s game, with the Rockies scoring a couple of preventable runs early while the Rangers were being shut out through six.
- A very nice outing for Mike Minor, who picked up a much needed Quality Start, going seven innings, allowing just 5 hits and 2 walks while striking out 6.
- Colorado scored its first run in the top of the second, when Carlos Gonzalez’s two run single brought Ian Desmond home from second base, which he had reached by advancing on a balk after having walked. The other Rockie run came in the top of the sixth, when D.J. LeMahieu singled, advanced to second on a ground out, went to third on a wild pitch, and scored on a sac fly.
- Minor got in trouble in the seventh, with a Desmond single and a Tom Murphy double putting two on with no one out. After a fly out, Chris Iannetta walked, loading the bases, but a Noel Cuevas pop out and a LeMahieu ground out allowed Minor to escape with no runs coming in.
- Jose Leclerc pitched a perfect, two-K 8th inning, and Keone Kela walked a batter in the ninth but shut the Rockies down with no runs to get the save.
- The bats were fairly comatose until the seventh inning. The Rangers got a pair of hits in the second and in the sixth, but double plays wiped out rallies in both of those innings, Heading into the seventh Texas was down 2-0, with Rougned Odor leading off the inning.
- Odor, continuing his recent warm-ish streak, tripled, and was brought home by an Isiah Kiner-Falefa double. Joey Gallo flew out and Ronald Guzman grounded out, but Jose Trevino, only in the lineup because Carlos Perez was hurt last night and Robinson Chirinos is banged up, singled to left to tie the score.
- Texas took the lead in the 8th, when a Delino DeShields walk and a Jurickson Profar single brought up Adrian Beltre. Beltre tripled — which is almost as remarkable as his getting two infield singles yesterday — and was lifted for pinch runner Ryan Rua, who scored on an Odor sac fly, providing the final margin in the 5-2 win.
- Every Ranger in the starting lineup had a hit today, and every Ranger in the starting lineup had just one hit, except for Shin-Soo Choo, who had a pair of hits. Way to spread the wealth around, guys.
- It was really good seeing Minor, who has had some issues of late, pitch well today. Now we see if Yovani Gallardo can return to the big leagues and take the rubber game for the Rangers tomorrow.
Thoughts on a 5-2 Rangers win
Rangers 5, Rockies 2