- That game was pretty terrible.
- Ariel Jurado, who has been one of the really good stories of the early going, got hit hard early and often. He ended up getting pulled in the top of the fourth after being unable to retire any of the first three hitters he faced that inning, then saw Peter Fairbanks allow the runner Jurado left on base to score when he gave up a home run to Yasiel Puig. Final line was 3 IP, 9 hits, 7 runs, 1 walk, 0 Ks.
- These games happen, and Jurado still has a 4.23 ERA on the season, which is good. If Jurado can keep his ERA close to that the rest of the season, I think we would all be very happy. But we have to wait and see if Jurado can maintain this level of performance going forward, or if his early success was just a flash in the pan.
- Jeffrey Springs faced five batters and allowed 3 hits and 2 walks. Springs tends to be either good or really awful, and today he was really awful. It was blowout territory by the time he came in, at least.
- Shelby Miller had three shutout innings in relief, so he presumably moves ahead of Drew Smyly in the “Veteran former starting pitcher banished to the bullpen” pecking order.
- The offense today wasn’t good. Shin-Soo Choo hit a homer in the first, and Hunter Pence hit a two run home run, and that was it. And Pence hurt his groin later in the game and it sounds like he is headed for the injured list, just in time for Willie Calhoun to be activated.
- Ronald Guzman was 0 for 3 with a walk and two Ks, and continues to struggle at a time when the Rangers are going to have to decide how to get Joey Gallo back into the lineup. While the departure of Pence potentially means Calhoun can play every day in his absence, someone will have to go to make room for Joey Gallo, who could be back this weekend. Theoretically the Rangers could send Calhoun down for Gallo, but that then means the Rangers will have to make another move when Pence returns. The beat guys are starting to speculate that Guzman could be the odd man out when Gallo returns, despite the desire to keep Gallo in the outfield.
- That said, we will all take a 4-3 road trip. Texas comes home to play Cleveland tomorrow, assuming the storms in D/FW abate enough for them to land.
Thoughts on an 11-3 Rangers loss
Reds 11, Rangers 3