Season record: 25-46
Week 12 record: 0-5
Series record: 7-15, 1 split
The Twins have been bad this season but the Rangers have been worse. After taking a four game series in Minnesota last month, Texas got swept this weekend. And while they weren’t necessarily totally awful games to watch, a loss is a loss and the Rangers are well on their way to a 100-loss season. Losing two games early this week to the Astros and the weekend series, while the Rangers seemed close at times, they couldn’t manage to get one win this week.
Remember when they were 18-18? That was a fun day.
While they’re not the Diamondbacks, who are currently on a 16 game losing streak, the Rangers are on a six game losing streak; and there doesn’t seem like much hope for that to get better as Oakland, currently holding the first wild card spot, comes in for a four game series to start the week.
With the Oakland Athletics in town, Elvis Andrus will be back in Arlington playing in a non-Rangers uniform for the first time.
Oakland is currently 44-29, just under Houston for first place in the division with a .603 win percentage (the Astros are .606). They’re on a two game losing streak after dropping the final two games of their series in New York against the Yankees.
Oakland is at the beginning of a 10 game road trip... which is significant considering they have a better record on the road than at home. The Athletics currently have a winning percentage of .655 on the road and .581 at home. A -4 run differential at home, and +34 on the road.
The starting pitcher matchups for this series as follows:
Monday: Frankie Montas v. Kyle Gibson
- Montas has a 4.10 ERA in seven games, four starts, and 1.56 WHIP in 26.1 innings in his career against the Rangers
- This season Montas has a 4.12 ERA and 1.31 WHIP in 14 starts
Tuesday: Cole Irvin v Jordan Lyles
- This will be Irvin’s first career start against Texas, he has yet to get a win this season against a divisional team... which means this will be his first one.
- Irvin has a 3.89 ERA and 1.26 WHIP in 14 starts this season
- Irvin gave up four runs on nine hits and two walks in 5.2 innings in his last start against the Los Angeles Angels
Wednesday: James Kaprielian v Mike Foltynewicz
- This will be Kaprielian’s first career start against Texas
- Kaprielian’s ERA is 2.84 through seven starts this season. His last outing he gave up three runs on three hits and a walk in 5.2 innings against the Yankees.
Thursday: Chris Bassitt v. Kolby Allard
- Bassitt has a career 4.99 ERA against the Rangers in 9 appearances, five of which are starts.
- Bassitt has a 3.40 ERA in 15 starts this season